Monday 10 March 2014

Experiment - Star Signs and Elements

Before now I had only really been looking into the more physical representations of the elements, and how they can be used for creation and destruction. I however, was inspired to think of an idea that doesn't consider the elements as physical, but rather symbolic.

This lead me to researching into the Occult side of this, where I found how they linked into the Zodiac and their constellations. I have previously looked up the zodiacs and learnt about them in my past, so using them with the idea of the elements sounds to me like a really interesting approach to the theme.

I have found that each member of the Zodiac each belongs in one of the four categories of the elements, which are as followed:

Earth
- Capricorn
- Virgo
- Taurus

Fire
- Leo
- Sagittarius
- Aries

Water
- Cancer
- Scorpio
- Pisces

Air
- Aquarius
- Libra
- Gemini

Interestingly enough, each Star Sign/ Zodiac are also shown having traits given to the people who fall under them, I found these to be an interesting concept and decided to research what each Zodiac had for their traits:

Aries (21st March - 20th April)
- The strengths of Aries are: Adventurous, energetic, courageous and confident.
- The weaknesses are: Self-centered, short-tempered, impulsive and impatient.

Taurus (21st April - 21st May)
- The strengths of Taurus are: Compassionate, dependable, loyal, reliable, physical and mental strength.
- The weaknesses traits are: Stubbornness, aggressiveness, sensitivity and difficulty to accept change.

Gemini (22nd May - 21st June)
- The strengths of Gemini are: Jovial, Good communication skills, inquisitiveness and flexibility.
- The weaknesses are: Selfishness, restlessness, confusing personalities and difficulty towards being on time.

Cancer (22nd June - 23rd July)
- The strengths of Cancer are: Adaptability, loyalty, strong bonds with family and empathy.
- The weaknesses are: Moodiness, sensitivity, emotional outbursts and indecisiveness.

Leo (24th July - 23rd August)
- The strengths of Leo are: Kindness, Big-Heartedbess, energetic, optimistic, honesty, loyalty
- The weaknesses are: Prone to Jealousy, Possessiveness, egotism, or a dominating personality.

Virgo (24th August - 23rd September)
- The strengths of Virgo are: Perfectionist, realistic, practical, dependable, sincere and patient.
- The weaknesses are: Far too critical, restless, lack demonstrativeness and often push themselves too far.

Libra (24th September - 23rd October)
- The positive traits of Libra are: Patience, balance, gregarious, loving, affectionate, cheerful, energetic and socially gifted
- The weaknesses are: Indecisiveness, carelessness, prone to indulgence and being overly emotional and sensitive.

Scorpio (24th October - 21st November)
- The strengths of Scorpio are: Loyalty, trustworthiness, passionate, charismatic, caring and patience.
- The weaknesses are: Stubbornness, jealousy, overly sensitive and egotistical.

Sagittarius (22nd November - 21st December)
- The strengths of Sagittarius are: Honesty, forthrightness, lightheartedness, intellectual and good communication skills.
- The weaknesses are: Sharp tongue, prone to change, restlessness and a flirtatious nature.

Capricorn (22nd December - 20th January)
- The strengths of Capricorn are: Hardworking, responsible, reliable, loyal, sincerity and strong will power.
- The weaknesses are: Introvert, obstinate, short tempered and difficulty accepting authority.

Aquarius (21st January - 19th February)
- The strengths of Aquarius are: Friendly, affable, intelligent, kind, compassionate and practical.
- The weaknesses are: Unpredictable, adamant, dislike towards making commitments and hatred towards conventions.

Pisces (20th February - 20th March)
- The strengths of Pisces are: Intuitive, empathetic, uninterested in material things and a sharp memory.
- The weaknesses are: Overly emotional or sensitive, prone to wistfulness, mood swings and inflexibility.



I decided that for an experiment, I would take the element and star sign which I fell under and use them for the base of my experiment.

My birthday is January 31st, which makes me an 'Aquarius', so my Element is 'Air'.

During my research I found this quote which I found to be really inspiring towards the idea of me being an Aquarius, this was:

"Creativity flows through the veins of individuals with the Aquarius sign."
I then decided to research further into the constellation which is Aquarius. I found that Aquarius is the symbol of the water bearer, making it seem odd that it's element is air.
My research into the Air element told me that those in the air category are primarily focused on intellectual pursuits and innovation. They are typically thinking of creative or unorthodox ideas, and often are involved by introducing clever remarks and wit. They are thought to be constantly testing things and theorising. This is were I found a second inspiration quote:

"To them, reality is a laboratory in which they may experiment and record."

Below is a basic image showing the layout of the Aquarius constellation:


I decided that this was going to be included in a piece made of this as it seems a good way of connecting the different idea. I could also use this to envisage the idea of "Creativity flowing through the veins" as I thought the lines between the stars could represent the veins.

- Work Continued in next Post

No comments:

Post a Comment